Animation by Kayelle Allen at The Author's Secret

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Now released - Killing Jenna Crane by Lynette Sofras


I've been holding my breath since November, waiting to release my latest offering, which is something of a genre-departure for me in that it is not simply about romance.  I always planned that the story would be about a writer but initially this was going to be rather different, though my main character was always going to be male and involved with two women.

In fact Ellis Crawford is actually involved with three women - one being the character of his novels, the eponymous Jenna Crane for whom he has mixed feelings.  She's a 'feisty female detective' (which, incidentally, was my working title!) whose adventures have propelled Ellis to the dizzy heights of success as an author and screenwriter after Hollywood bought up the film rights to the Jenna Crane mystery series and made her a household name.  

But success has not made Ellis a nice or likeable person and try as I might, I could not write him in many redeeming features.  He's a rather selfish and egotistical commitment-phobe who treats women quite badly.  When Chloe enters his life and is prepared to worship him for the rest of hers, he recognises at once that "It would take a certain type of man to use her and then cast her aside.  A man without a conscience." But that doesn't stop Ellis from doing exactly that.

But is Ellis a man without a conscience?  The fact that after he dumps her, he's unable to put her out of his mind seems to suggest otherwise and his relationship with Chloe's successor, the amazing Emily, does not run smoothly at all.  Nor is this helped by the fact that Emily thinks Ellis is wasting his talents writing trashy pulp fiction and that he should kill off Jenna Crane and turn his mind to more serious literary endeavours.

The Blurb:

Killing Jenna Crane is not a story about a murder, but a dark journey inside a writer's mind.  Commitment-shy Ellis Crawford, creator of the famous and highly successful Jenna Crane mystery series, finds his comfortable life swept away when he meets Emily, his perfect woman. 

Despite his deepening love for Emily, Ellis finds himself haunted by painful memories of a previous love whose heart he broke, and begins to regret his past behaviour.  On top of that, Emily wants him to kill off his beloved heroine Jenna Crane - against fierce public opinion.

But life is too short for regrets and when his own rapidly spirals out of control, taking his reputation as an author with it, where will Ellis turn for help?

It is available from Amazon from today.

6 comments:

Su Halfwerk said...

Hi Lyn,
Certain stories -especially good ones- should be told; genre type simply results from the tale. Killing Jenna Crane is a wonderful story I'm glad I had the honor of reading.
Character growth is one of my main attractions to a story, and you have to admit, Ellis grew and he did it realistically.

Congratulations on the release and happy new year :-)

ManicScribbler said...

Thank you so much, Su. Your encouragement and support was invaluable to me. And thank you also for the wonderful cover you provided.

Happy New Year to you also.

Eva87 said...

You know I loved this story and I don't think you should be worried about sticking to one genre. You've already proven that you can write sci-fi with Surveillance and now you've shown with Killing Jenna Crane that you can write darker characters into your stories too. (I'm not quite sure what genre to call it; I'm never very good at categorising literature). The twist in this was so unexpected for me and I loved it. I loved being able to look back at what I'd already read and trying to pick it apart to find the clues because they were so subtle and effortlessly woven into the story. So cleverly done, I really was in awe. You really are fantastic!

ManicScribbler said...

Thank you SO much Eva87. Your wonderful comments have really made my week!

Jenny Twist said...

Hi Lynette. You already know how much I loved this story. I have been watching with delight as you have moved from more or less straight romance to these excursions into different genres. I agree with everything Emily and Su have said. Keep writing whatever comes into your mind. It is always wonderful.

Love
Jenny
xxxxx

PS. Happy New Year. Let this be the year you sell a million!

Anonymous said...

Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a
community in the same niche. Your blog provided us
useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!


My webpage; how do i get more instagram followers

Post a Comment